Monday, October 20, 2008

Hi

So lately, I've been listening to a lot of NPR while trying to figure out what the hell is going on in this country (US). This, in turn, has spurred a lot of thoughts, which I will now start posting here.

So here is my first tiny outrage:

Goodbye McCain, it was nice knowing you
I always thought if McCain was finally nominated for President, it would really give the swing voters something to think about it. Hell, it would've put me in the swing vote category... especially if he was running against Kerry or someone. I was excited to see him kick Mitt Romney's ass, for sure. Mitt Romney is such a tool and it totally broke that "good looking guy always wins" rule! Rudy Giuliani was an interesting contender, but he's also kind of crazy and he was riding the 9/11 thing too much.

Anyway, I was just waiting for him to give Obama or Hillary a run for their money. I'd probably still have voted Democratic, but I'd have thought about it.

Except unfortunately, the McCain running for president is not the same guy that ran during the primaries. If they'd let McCain run as himself, I'd have respected him as a candidate and thought about voting for him, even.

The moment I knew I wouldn't even consider McCain was the moment he changed his mind on torture. I know he actually flipflopped (to use a term that is a favorite among the republicans) on a lot of issues, but that was the one that just blew me away.

Look look, ok I don't think McCain really believes in torture. I'm sure he feels the same about torture as he has always felt, that crazy Swiss lover. Unless of course McCain has been secretly done away with and replaced with a convincing dummy or robot or something. I think McCain is the same person he's always been, but now I have NO idea what his policies will be like. Will he wake up from this bad dream once he's in office? Or will he continue to be pushed around by the Republican Party? The campaign is supposed to tell us that, so now I don't know WHAT to expect of him.

Ok, so after McCain was taken over by Republican mind-worms, I was hoping at the very least this was a temporary solution to the McCain "straight-talk" problem. I thought, "Ok, I won't vote for him, but if he wins, it still won't be the end of the world, because he might still secretly be McCain." I wasn't for him, but I wasn't scared of him either.

All that changed when they chose Palin as the VP nominee. Oh how I miss you, Geraldine Ferraro. (I'm just kidding, I don't know anything about Geraldine Ferraro. She's way before my time).

Here's the thing: I totally think it's in poor taste to bring up a candidate's health issues during the campaign. Good health was never a prerequisite for the presidency. Wasn't it Harrison who had a very averse (fatal) reaction to some ice cream during his inauguration dinner? But the idea of an old man with skin cancer, who or may or may not have brain worms, dying in office and allowing someone like Palin to take over SCARES THE SHIT OUT OF ME!

Congrats, McCain, in a few short months, you've gone from being the only republican I respected, to terrifying me. Bye, McCain, it was nice knowing you.

Sincerely,
The Great Tiny